You are hereNY Times: One Boston Bombing Suspect Is Dead, Second at Large; Area on Lockdown

NY Times: One Boston Bombing Suspect Is Dead, Second at Large; Area on Lockdown


-By Katharine Q. Seelye and Michael Cooper

April 19, 2013- BOSTON — One of the suspects in the Boston Marathon bombings was killed early Friday morning after leading the police on a wild chase following the fatal shooting of a campus police officer, while the other was sought in a massive manhunt that shut down large parts of the area. Gov. Deval Patrick of Massachusetts said residents of Boston and its neighboring communities should “stay indoors, with their doors locked.”

The two suspects were identified by law enforcement officials as brothers from Chechnya. The surviving suspect was identified as Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, of Cambridge, Mass., a law enforcement official said. The one who was killed was identified as his brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26. The authorities were investigating whether the dead man had a homemade bomb strapped to his body when he was killed, two law enforcement officials said.

The manhunt for the surviving bombing suspect sent the Boston region into the grip of a security emergency: residents of the city and the surrounding area were urged to stay indoors, as hundreds of police officers conducted a manhunt and all public transit services was suspended.

Col. Tim Alben of the Massachusetts State Police said investigators believed that the two men were responsible for the death of Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer and the shooting of an officer with the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, the region’s transit authority. “We believe these are the same individuals that were responsible for the bombing on Monday at the Boston Marathon,” he said.

Officials said that the two men had lived in Chechnya, a long-disputed, predominantly Muslim territory in southern Russia that sought independence after the collapse of the Soviet Union and then fought two bloody wars with the authorities in Moscow. Russian assaults on Chechnya were brutal and killed tens of thousands of civilians, as terrorist groups from the region staged attacks in central Russia. In recent years, separatist militant groups have gone underground, and surviving leaders embraced fundamentalist Islam.

The family lived briefly in Makhachkala, the capital of the Dagestan region, near Chechnya, before moving to the United States, said a school administrator there. Irina V. Bandurina, secretary to the director of School No. 1, said the Tsarnaev family left Dagestan for the United States in 2002 after living there for about a year. She said the family — parents, two boys and two girls — had lived in the Central Asian nation of Kyrgyzstan previously.

FULL STORY HERE:

Partners

National Hispanic Media Coalition
Democrats.com
After Downing Street
Progressive Democrats of America
Justice Through Music
National Association of Latino Independent Producers
The Backbone Campaign
Voters For Peace
Chelsea Neighbors United
Locust Fork News Journal
Liberty Tree
People's Email Network
Hispanic/Latino Defamation Coalition SF
DialogueMakers.org
ProsecuteThemNow.com
BuzzFlash.com
ePluribus Media